Friday, June 22, 2012

Striking a balance

I went through a lot of years with a love hate relationship with social media and the internet in general. I formed a lot of bad relationships and friendships that were unhealthy for both parties. I was searching for something and did not know what. I was using these relationships as a replacement for actual human contact. I did not know these people, yet I trusted them with things I would never have now, and vice versa. It took moving back to Michigan, back to family before I found out what I was missing, human companionship. People that I knew actually had my best interest at heart. They were people who accepted me flaws and all, no hidden agendas. I also had a better handle on what I wanted from online relationships. I think I may have let myself get to close at times. I was not really a dater pretty much all my life so I was not sure how to handle female friendships so those were what I stunk at the most. The things with having healthier relationships in real life, is that it leads to healthier relationships and interactions online. I have met gotten to know quite a few great people on Twitter. This comes as a sort of surprise and when I got on Twitter I knew nobody on there in real life. I still don’t. I think I can count on one finger the followers that I have met in real life, and that is ok. I take these friendships for what they are. I keep a part of myself to myself that I didn’t before. It is all a balance and I think I have found the right one for me. I don’t think I was myself before, at least not all of myself. I tended to focus on the negative and put quite a burden on people who quite frankly I had no right doing that to. I realize that now. The balance has led to some great friendships, being able to write columns on things that I love, and getting to interview great people that I respect a lot. Maybe Twitter has helped me with my online issues. It is a lot harder to get into trouble with only 140 characters. So hopefully I have forged the good and healthy online relationships online that I have forged off. It still boggles my mind that people want to pay attention to what I have to say. I appreciate all of the people that follow me and I interact with on a daily basis. So thanks to you all, you are much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment