Saturday, January 21, 2012

Of funerals, and things left unsaid.


Last week I went to the funeral of Jen's sister in law's grandfather. He was 94 and lived a good long life. Not knowing what to do during the Hail Mary's, as I am not Catholic, I decided to take a look around the room. I saw a room filled with the people whose life he had touched during his 94 years. At times like these my mind wanders to what my funeral will be like. Will there be anyone there? Have I touched anyone’s life? Will I be missed when I am gone? I asked Jen if the same things passed through her mind when she was at funerals. She said yes. I think it is kind of a natural thing to think things like this.

In the days when people are so busy and with social media taking over, I think that people do not tell people how they feel about them outside of 140 characters. With my parents aging near their mid-seventies I don't know how much time I will have left with them. So I try to call them every couple of days and make sure to talk to them. The calls always end with an I love you. About 10 years I would never have thought of saying things like that to my dad. I guess it is a guy thing.

I guess it is kind of a cliché thing and will be difficult for me being a guy and not really being great at expressing myself, but I am going to try to make sure that I try and keep the connections that I have going and let people know what they mean to me. Whether it is commenting on a Twitter comment online, or telling the people in my real life what they mean to me and keep the lines of communication open. You never know when those lines are going to be closed forever. I don’t want to leave things left unsaid, and I don’t want people to wonder whether I will miss them when they are gone. They will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment